indieINblog

The official blog for www.indieIN.com. Because there's more out there...

Name:
Location: Los Angeles/Chicago, CA/IL

We are a website that is dedicated to increasing the audience for independent films. In order to do this, we list showtimes for indie films (including foreign, documentaries, and shorts, as well as features, you name it) that are playing in theaters and festivals. If you're a filmmaker, contact us because listings are FREE.

Sunday, March 11, 2007

It seems like every day I hear about a new technology that will enable you to watch independent film in the comfort of your own home. Apple TV, VOD, DVD, On Demand... you can watch a film on your cellphone! But for me, a self-proclaimed cinephile, the best way to see a film is on the big screen. When I talk about my love for movies, the films itself are just a part of the experience. I have my favorite spot in the theater: fifth row center (or back a bit further, depending on the size of the theater). I like to lean way down in my seat so the only thing I see if the moving pictures in front of me. I don't like people who talk in the theater, not just because it's rude, but because it takes me out of the experience.

So, this is my preference. But... I'm a busy woman and lately I've found it's hard to get to the theater as frequently as I would prefer. I live in Chicago and many of the films I want to see don't play here as soon as they might in New York or Los Angeles. So lately, I've been watching many films at home using On Demand. I discovered the "IFC in Theaters" section by mistake really. If you haven't heard about it, it's on Comcast and it's my new favorite thing. I've been able to check out Land of Plenty, Exterminating Angels (pictured), and An Unreasonable Man, three films that have yet to play in my area.

Last week, I checked out Wild Tigers I Have Known, a film by Cam Archer that I've been tracking on the film circuit. It's a lovely film about a sexually confused teenager. Not completely narrative, but not quite experimental, it became quite clear to me why this film received a nomination for Best Cinematography. But watching the film on my 19 inch TV screen, I knew I was missing out on my wall-to-wall experience. If I want to duplicate my cinema surroundings, I guess i can do a few things at home. Get a better stereo and hook up surround sound. I can buy a large screen flat TV. Put black shades on the windows to block out all the lights. Lock the kitties in the bathroom. But even then, will the experience be the same?

I have to admit, I have been watching more films since I discovered this little portal of indie in my home. I finally am getting to see some of these little charms that don't get big releases. If they aren't playing in a big city like Chicago, there are certainly tons of others in small town that also don't have access to these films. I guess it comes down to deciding what is more important? Seeing the film, or seeing a film in the theater. And for me, I will take what I can get.

Long live indie film,
Michelle

2 Comments:

Blogger gimmy them indies said...

Found a site that allows indie filmmakers to use their platform and marketing like ebay but does not demand owner to give up licensing rights. So rent and sell your films VOD to consumers. They have a intro offer free uploading, hurry! I watched "Birth as we know it" terrific

10:05 AM  
Blogger gimmy them indies said...

Forgot to tell you the name of the site (duh)for ebay like exibiting of your indie film - www.Grapeflix.com

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home