indieINblog

The official blog for www.indieIN.com. Because there's more out there...

Name:
Location: Los Angeles/Chicago, CA/IL

We are a website that is dedicated to increasing the audience for independent films. In order to do this, we list showtimes for indie films (including foreign, documentaries, and shorts, as well as features, you name it) that are playing in theaters and festivals. If you're a filmmaker, contact us because listings are FREE.

Monday, January 22, 2007

Saturday night's all right...

Even though this is my ninth time here at Sundance, I still am surprised about how overwhelming it can be. So many movies to see, parties to attend, with cocktail parties and brunches in between. Hard work!

Saturday was big movie day for me. My daily goal is five films per day and I managed to get in four so I felt pretty good.
We started off the day with Snow Angels, the new film by David Gordon Green, director of George Washington and All the Real Girls. Starring Sam Rockwell, Kate Beckinsale, and Michael Angarano (Jack's son on Will & Grace), this lyrical drama tells the story of a separated couple who are trying to pick up the pieces of their life, when they are hit with another tragedy that affects the whole town. Keep an eye out for this one. It hit me too the core.
Next up was Teeth, a dark comedy about a girl who discovers she has teeth in her vagina. Oh, yes, vagina dentata. This film was hilarious and you could hear the women laughing much louder than the men. After a break, I saw An American Crime, the new film by Tommy O'Haver (Billy's Hollywood Screen Kiss, starring Catherine Keener and Ellen Page. It's based on a true story of Sylvie Likens who was tortured and beaten by a family and the neighborhood kids under the guidance of Gertrude Banisewski. It's a powerful film that you will not forget.

After American Crime, I needed a break so I headed up the Blackhouse, a new spot put on by the Blackhouse Foundation. This is a great little place that was put together by a group of filmmakers to help spotlight the films by African American filmmakers. You can check your email, meet with other filmmakers, and they have a happy hour every day. This has quickly become my favorite place to hang out at Sundance. We even saw Dan Glickman, president of the MPAA, talking with the filmmakers.

My last film of the day was Broken English written and directed by Zoe Cassavetes. Starring Parker Posey, Gena Rowlands, and Drea de Matteo, it's about a girl in her 30s who is still single while the rest of her friends are married or have children. Then she meets someone who changes her perspective on relationships. Or in other words, this the story of my life. It had a very Sex in the City meets Before Sunset vibe to it, but I really liked the film.

I have to run to a movie, but we'll be back with a full report on Sunday's events. Stay tuned!

Live from Park City,

Michelle

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home