indieINblog

The official blog for www.indieIN.com. Because there's more out there...

Name:
Location: Los Angeles/Chicago, CA/IL

We are a website that is dedicated to increasing the audience for independent films. In order to do this, we list showtimes for indie films (including foreign, documentaries, and shorts, as well as features, you name it) that are playing in theaters and festivals. If you're a filmmaker, contact us because listings are FREE.

Saturday, June 02, 2007

If you see something, say something...

Ever since I was young, I've wanted to open up a movie theater. My dream theater. This is how I imagined it. It'd be a huge warehouse with a screen from ceiling to floor. The floor itself would be slanted and moviegoers would be able to choose seats, moving recliners, and put them anywhere they wanted to sit. The recliners would be equipped with cupholders on one side and food trays if you wanted a meal. But most of all, there would be a bouncer, a lifeguard of sorts. If people talked too much or acted obnoxious. They were out. If the sound or picture went out, they were on it.

Well, I still have yet to open my theater, but Regal Cinemas have taken strides of making their own patrons "bouncers" in their theaters. This new device is called Regal Response and was introduced in their 114 theaters across the United States. There are four call buttons on the device: sound, picture, piracy, and "other disturbances," which is meant for their noisy guests. Instead of turning around and hushing the rude guest, moviegoers with this device simply push a button and a manager will come to remedy the situation.

Because so many moviegoers are so many options to watch films in the comfort of their own homes, this is exhibitors way of trying to make the in theater movie experience better for patrons. I have to admit, it drives me nuts when someone talks in the theater. But I couldn't help but notice that it is usually in the box office studio films. When I am watching indie films, the audience is quiet (except for maybe someone catching up after a bathroom break), and I can't help but wonder why. Is it respect for the artistry and craft of the film? Could it be that the stories "pull in" their viewers more than the car chases and explosions? Or maybe they are so depressed they can't bring themselves to talk? I guess there's no real way to know but I'll be curious to see if these devices also make their way into the smaller theater houses. What do you think?

Long live indie film,

Michelle

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think indie films draw a more respectful crowd - they are there for the artistry, not matter how difficult the premise or setup might be. It's an elite audience, so to speak! And I don't mind. I do like rowdy theatres for blockbusters sometimes.

9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home